-
December 28th, 2002, 11:33 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I would like to find out what everyone listens to on their Altec systems. I have found that some CD's and LP's sound great and other recordings are not so great.
I was wondering if anyone else would be willing to share an answer to the following question?
When I want to show others how great my Altec system is, I play this CD or LP, __________________
Thanks
-
December 28th, 2002, 05:11 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Don't try Led Zeppelin on them! At some times I may still like the music but an ALTEC speaker system reveals just how terrible the recordings were! You will hear every flaw- and they are numerous. Good quality Jazz and Classical recordings show them off well. If you insist on showing off the volume capabilities perhaps Stevie Ray Vaughan "In Step" might be a good enough recording. I also tried the new Santana album and it was decent. Stanley Clark's newer recordings (I think East West Drive or something like that- I recently moved so all my 2000 Albums and 500 CD's are out of alphabetical order) is a good example of the low end capabilities. There are of course numerous recordings that are high quality. Try both vinyl and CD, assuming you have a good table and cartridge! The vinyl will be better- of course!
-
December 28th, 2002, 09:52 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Led Zep sounds far better from vinyl, the first CD releases are horrible and Altecs show them up something awful.
-
December 28th, 2002, 11:37 PM
#4
Inactive Member
"There goes rhymin' simon" By Paul Simon on vinyl is real nice sounding with Altecs, especially those Dixie Hummingbird's voices.
-
December 29th, 2002, 02:06 AM
#5
Inactive Member
For you country fans, Ricky Skaggs "Highway 40 Blues" on vinyl, at serious volume is pure heaven; late model Alison Krauss and Union Station is nice, and while no claim is made that it is art, Anne Murray's "Best" has some nice sounding cuts. Almost blew a diaphragm on the guitar ride on a Dixie Chicks cut. Would have been worth it.
Saint-Saens No. 3 for Organ and Symphony to show why you don't need no subwoofer with Altecs; same for a Bach Organ Meditation. The HDCD Les Mis Complete Symphonic Recordings is also nice.
-
December 29th, 2002, 03:34 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Thanks for the tip on Zeppelin on vinyl. My records had been in storage for a few years, hopefully soon as I get my chicken coop fixed I will have a set up with my albums easily accessable. My Chicken coop measures 24X60 so I plan to set up a 24X36 area that will be a combination of listening room, theatre, and Dojang to practise my Tae Kwon Do! I am still trying to figure out what to use for speakers in there. I am thinking either ALTEC engine's or 817's/Large format horns for my front speakers. Probably model 19's for the rears. By the way someone please buy my Barcelona's so I don't have to ship them out of the country!
-
December 29th, 2002, 04:06 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
I listen to a variety of music but am all too aware that Altecs will reveal badly recorded music and distortion that is masked by bad playback equipment.
I have two pair of stacked model 17's( as well as a pair of model 19's and a pair of Santiagos) in my art studio that is about 700 square feet. Although I listen to music all day while I work, every now and then someone comes over for a "demo". To show off the volume/dynamics capability of the '17's I will often play the first cut on the soundtrack to "The Perfect Storm". There are 2 crecendos in this piece that will blow your hair back if you run enough power (I'm not fancy and get by with a Sansui G-9700 at 200 watts RMS) to them. A subwoofer is clearly shown to be needless while doing this.
I really like to hear well recorded jazz, folk, rockabilly, roots (Dave Alvin's voice is phenomenally rendered by the Altecs), and electronica on any of my Altec systems.
I just came back from a family vacation and listened to my cousin's "high end" system with a pair of French made $2000 speakers+ velodyne sub and and a 100 watt carver amp. Nice but no cigar. Move more than 15 feet away from the speakers and, to me, it might as well be a boom box. Seriously.
Play the last 3 cuts on the "Gladiator Soundtrack" on a pair of model 19's with 10 watts and watch jaws drop and feet move back. Theres nothing like it.
-
January 3rd, 2003, 08:53 PM
#8
Inactive Member
A super treat sonically on regular CD is any of the three "Folk Scene" CD's from KPFK in LA, by Red House Records. Various artists, exclusive hand-built (tube) recording gear, and dynamite talent will be sure to please. Besides, you get to hear something really different...
DG
-
January 3rd, 2003, 09:18 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Try some cuts off the Stones Sticky Fingers.
Kieth's Telecaster has a great nasty, raw tone.
Early Jagger vocals sound real good on my 19's.
Dave
-
January 4th, 2003, 12:27 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Wow, we are an eclectic bunch aren't we. I don't own any Altec stuff, yet, but I wanna play too. I have used for years:
1) The "Society Pages" cut off Frank Zappa's "You Are What You Is" album. All of Frank's stuff plays extremely well off vinyl and supriseingly well off CD. Besides, your guests will consider you much more worldly and broad minded even if you do vote republican.
2) "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" cut from Les Elgarts ancient and rare (RCA or Columbia, can't remember) vinyl "It's Delightful"
3) Any cut from "Stan Getz and Charlie Beard Play Bossa Nova" (is that the name?) anyway, a monster album, I wore it out of vinyl and now have it on CD.
Dan Hall
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks